NEW ORLEANS CENTER FOR
VOLUNTEER RESEARCH GROUP
VOLUNTEER RESEARCH GROUP
Clinical Trial Services
- Phase I - IV Outpatient Facility
- Full-Service Phase I Inpatient Capabilities
William B. Smith, M.D., F.A.C.C.
Dr. Bill Smith is the Founder, President, and Principal Investigator of New Orleans Center for Clinical Research (NOCCR) and the Volunteer Research Group (VRG), the AMR sites in Knoxville, TN and New Orleans, LA. He was also one of the founders of AMR. He is board certified in Internal Medicine, Critical Care Medicine, Nephrology, and Cardiology. He has been involved in greater than 1875 clinical trials over the past 35 years. Dr. Smith is a frequent lecturer and author, and publishes extensively in clinical and scientific journals.
New Orleans Center for Clinical Research & Volunteer Research Group
Established in New Orleans, LA in 1985, NOCCR still maintains the original Canal Street location. Following Hurricane Katrina, the Phase I unit and company headquarters were moved to Knoxville, TN. NOCCR Knoxville and Volunteer Research Group are headquartered inside East Tennessee’s premier research hospital; ideally located for complex clinical trials. NOCCR/VRG have experienced medical staff on duty at the facilities 24/7, including 12 full-time study coordinators, two full-time Nurse Practitioners, 20 coordinator assistants, IATA certified lab coordinators, and contract and budget specialists. Each coordinator has an average of six years experience in the medical field. NOCCR/VRG has the ability to perform procedurally difficult trials and can successfully recruit special populations. Major indication of specialties include: renal, hepatic, healthy volunteers, elderly and women’s/men’s health.
Dr. Reyes was taking care of an elderly patient who was having some trouble. He attempted to contact her by phone, he called her emergency contact. He was unable to get ahold of the patient who needed immediate care following some abnormal labs/tests etc. Knowing she lived alone, Dr. Reyes was so worried about his patient that he drove to her home in an attempt to contact her for further testing and to make sure that she was okay. Dr. Reyes goes above and beyond for each of his patients. He truly was a hero to this patient.
- In 1985 founded New Orleans, LA site
- In 1991 founded Knoxville, TN site
- Satellite Sites: 1, Tazewell, TN
- Conducted 1875+ Phase I –IV trials
- Patient database of 26,100
- Inpatient Phase I Unit with 50 beds
- Outpatient Unit with 9 exam rooms
- Maintains: FWA,BNDD, GDUFA, Biosafety Level 2, Schedule II– IV License, IBC, CLIA Waiver
- Ability to process PBMC samples
- Dedicated double-locked limited-access IP Storage w/ Laminar flow hood, controlled substance storage
- Sperm Lab
- USP 797 Pharmacy
- 24/7 Backup Generator
- CT/PET Scanning
- DEXA Scanning
- ECG/Mortara Surveyor System
- Metabolic Cart
- Mortara Surveyor System
- Non-invasive CO monitors
- Refrigerated centrifuges, -70°C freezers, refrigerators
Phase I Unit
- Our 50-bed Phase I unit is located within the University of Tennessee Medical Center which makes it unique in the types of clinical trials we can conduct.
- The Phase I unit is secured with an alarm system that will alert staff to anyone entering or exiting the unit. All common areas equipped with video surveillance. We also have access to hospital security team 24-7 in case of emergencies.
- Being located within a level 1 trauma center not more than 25 yards from both medical and surgical intensive care units, our research unit is part of the intra-hospital emergency medical management system. This results in Code Team response times of less than 30 seconds and complete 24-hour critical care coverage.
- -70°C Freezers (3)
- -80°C Freezer (1)
- -20°C Freezers (2)
- Ambient and refrigerated centrifuges
- Photosensitive processing area
- Phase II-IV Unit also on-site.
- Indoor Dedicated Smoking Rooms equipped with recirculating ventilation systems. One room is equipped with a SmokeMaster electronic smoke eater which recirculates the air and clears smokes with a 98% efficiency in a 10’ x 12’ room. The second room is 25’ x 15’ and is equipped with exhaust fans that recirculate and clear the air in the room every 30-40 seconds.
- Dedicated outdoor area for smoking.
- Contract/Budget Turnaround Time: 24-48 Hours
- Feasibility Turnaround Time: 24-48 Hours
- Regulatory Turnaround Time: 24-48 Hours
- Part-Time Quality Assurance Specialist
- Dedicated Recruitment, Data and Regulatory Teams
- IBC Status
- The hospital has arrangements with two independent IRBs for inpatient trials. As contracts and IRB review do not go through the hospital, we have all the advantages of being in a large hospital with none of the encumbrances. We have a relationship with a very efficient local IRB, but have the flexibility to work with central IRBs if needed as well.
- Schedule I license and Schedule II-V license for researchers
- Rapid Enrollment
- Backup generator ensures continued power supply in the event of an electricity outage.
- Phlebotomy stations
- Dedicated processing area
- Laminar flow hood for special processing
- All laboratory staff maintains current IATA certification
- In addition to on-site capabilities, NOCCR also has an established relationship with a full service local lab (LabCorp) that is used on a regular basis. Most results are available within 24-hours.
- All staff maintains current GCP certification
- Clinic staff are certified in CPR
- There is on-call clinical staff and physicians 24/7 to provide coverage if an emergency arises outside of normal business hours.
- Drug room is double locked with limited access. The electronic temperature monitoring system is centralized and alarms are activated if any temperature excursion is noted. A safe is located within the drug room for controlled substance storage.
- On-site short-term and long-term storage facility.
- Full-service kitchen on-site. The majority of our meals are provided by the hospital cafeteria system and we work with the nutritional services to maintain specific diets as required by individual protocols.
- There are over 950 physicians in the hospital network with whom we collaborate including the departments of Urology, Neurology, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Ophthalmology, Dermatology, Gastroenterology, Nephrology, Dentistry, Family Practice, Internal Medicine, Hospitalists, Sleep Medicine and Surgery.